Monday, March 12, 2007

So today started a new week of training for me here at Airborne School. The first picture here is of the suspended harness. It is a training device that teaches you what it will be like to control the direction of your parachute while in the air and landing. It was quick and painless and gave no clues as to what we would encounter next.
This picture is the Swing Landing Trainer or SLT. It looks harmless enough in the picture, but what you don't know is that the platform is 12 feet high and at the other end of your cable is a rope controlled by the instructor. it is much like a kids swing in the park that you can strap into. The only difference is that at any moment the person pushing you can cut the cables and send you hurdling toward the ground from any height that they so desire. I had my go at it about 10-12 times this afternoon and speaking from experience they should not call it the SLT. They should call it the SYITGAGYAH. aka... "smash you into the ground and give you a headache". My neck feels like mush tonight and I can tell I will be sore soon. Luckily that is said to be the most painful part of Airborne School and I am done with it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure I could do this.