Sunday, February 25, 2007

Basic is Done... Basically


Well if you haven’t heard or the title didn’t give it away I’m done with Basic training now. I graduated on the 16th of February and am happy to be done with it. I was scheduled to go straight to Airborne school, but the Army thought they should divert me to another school. So as I type I’m half way through Javalin school.
The Javalin is a man portable shoulder fired, fire and forget missile. Basically you look through a screen, lock onto targets that are moving or stationary up to 2500 meters (by the book, but SF has hit things at over 4200 meters). The class sounds fun but is pretty boring. We get nights off though and weekends too with the exception of this weekend because we had to help with a concert that was put on for basic training privates on base. We worked from 8 am until 11 pm last night. Needless to say I’m tired today and got to sleep in until 6. Although being graduated from basic and now actually being a specialist I had some fun yelling at privates and telling them what to do. So that was fun. I put up with it for 14 weeks so it was nice to be the one in charge for once.
read more on the Javelin Missile here
This last weekend was just what I had been waiting for. Most of my family was able to make it out to the great metropolis of Columbus Georgia. Josh, Krista, Dad, Mom, Haley, Seven, Michael and then Jessica flew in from india. You will notice Jules and Matt didn’t show up. That is because they hate me... No I’m just kidding. I love you guys and understand not wanting to come to Ft Benning. Believe me, I understand.
So what next? Glad you asked. I head to Airborne school on Friday March 2nd and will be there for 3 weeks. Then I head to RIP (Ranger indoctrination). If all goes well I should be out of here soon and back with my family moving to our new home.
As you now may have guessed I have my computer with me so you can email me. I also have my phone if you wish to call or text do so freely, but I can’t always answer due to training and what not. I would say drop me a comment, but I’m in the process of fixing that so if it is there do so, if not call or email me.

Here are some pictures of my graduation and family

0 comments: