Well there it is... My rank for now. I am officially a member of the US Army!
I spent a lot of time saturday down at the Seattle MEPS. Shortly after arriving at 6am we were informed that the power was out for the the entire 6 block area and that they were hoping that it would come back on so that we could do our physicals. They heard back from the power company and they reported that the power wouldn’t be on until noon at the earliest. So they told us to go home, but as I was about to go out the front door in the dark still they turned us around and said that they were going to try and do some of the physical process with the back up lights and power. 7 hours later I had completed and passed my physical successfully on generator power only. It was a crazy experience, but at least I didn’t have to go back to finish what I couldn’t do because of power. I made the trip to Oregon and got there just in time to go to the tractor pull and monster truck show with my Dad, Josh and Jon.
I got back to my house in Redmond at about 1:30 am monday morning and then got up at 6:15 to head back to the MEPS to do the rest of the process and see if I qualified for Airborne Ranger. The computers were down on Saturday obviously so I should have been able to do the whole process in one day, but God was watching out for me and paving the way in a huge way, or so I was soon to find out. After talking with the job councilor I informed her that I wanted to be an Airborne Ranger. She told me that she hadn’t seen that become available in quite awhile but that she would look. She typed in the search and looked at the screen stunned and said “this is your lucky day, I have only one opening and I haven’t seen one in a long time”. How is that for an open door? I took the chance and the rest is monday afternoon history. I swore in and got my ship date.
October 18th I leave Seattle bound for Fort Benning for 16 weeks of training. And yes those of you that just did the math that means that I may be gone during Christmas. I “may” get 2 weeks leave during that time but I’m not counting on it. Besides the being gone part Haley and I are excited about this new change in our life and looking forward to the opportunities and experiences that are about to come flooding our way.
If you have any questions or want further details then you can do one of three things.
- Call me if you have my number
- email me with the link below
- or if it is a question that you think others may ask leave a comment and I will update the post with the answers
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Specialist Lambert?
at 10:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment