Friday, July 14, 2006

Run For Fun!

Whenever I think of running for a long period of time I can’t help but remember that scene from Back To the Future III (my favorite movie series of all time). Doc is at the bar and talking with a man from 1885 and telling him about the future (bad idea if you don’t want to disrupt the space time continuum). He says that they have great forms of transportation and the “auto-mobile”. The old man says “doesn’t anyone ever walk or run?”. To which Doc replies “oh, yes but for recreation”. And then the line that I always say, but no one ever catches on (because as I get older so do the movies) “RUN FOR FUN!”.
All that to say, that man had no idea what the future would hold for running. I have run over 250 miles in the past 12 weeks and so needless to say my running shoes were shot (actually the right heel started to cave in). So I was in the market for some new shoes. Well, me being the geek that I am planned it just right. Nike just released a new line of Nike+ shoes that work with your iPod Nano. There is a chip that you put in your shoe and that sends your speed and milage to the Nano which keeps track of your run and displays the info on screen or via voice through your headphones.
Now if you didn’t know from this website or haven’t figured it out from talking with me I am a Mac Geek. I used to hate them with a passion, but after they went to OS X and have a unix base... blah blah blah, intel, blah blah blah. (the boring stuff was edited because that is what most of my readers would have seen anyway). These shoes “could” have just been a gimmick or something for those that only buy things with apples on them to buy. But, although I find him fascinating I won’t just buy anything that Steve Jobs allows the apple logo to be associated with.
So last night I went and tried on the shoes. I loved the feeling of them and the fact that they are extremely light and breathable. So I bought them and promptly drove home to try them out. Long story short, I LOVE THEM! The fact that I had someone telling me my pace and the distance that I had gone while running in the open air was awesome. You can select a “power song” as they call it that you can activate when you are trying to push extra hard, and at anytime you can press the center button on your ipod and your stats are given to you via voice and then your music fades back in.
Then to top it all off when you sync your iPod with iTunes it sends your data to nikeplus.com and you can track your progress in speed, distance, time and calories. Here is a snipit of what you can do.















As you can see I have only used the setup once, but this gives you an idea of what the thing looks like. All in all, the shoes are super comfortable and I love having the stats to push me and keep me interested.

RUN FOR FUN!
heck yes I do!

Seacrest out

0 comments: