Tuesday, July 11, 2006

100 Challenge is Over!

Well our weight loss competition (aka “100 challenge” is over! I’m very thankful that my wife pushed everyone to do this contest, but I’m also very glad that it is over. For those of you that don’t know what I’m talking about let me fill you in.
Haley came up with an idea to start a contest to see who could loose the most percentage of their body weight (not fat percentage). After getting creative ideas and input from others (yes you too Josh) she decided to call it the 100 challenge. Those that wished to participate (I will not list the names here, if the want to they can add their own names in the comments) would put up 100 dollars, and the contest would last for 100 days. In our case we started on April 1st and went to July 9th.
Now 100 days doesn’t seem like it would be that long to lose weight, but that didn’t stop some of us from taking it very seriously (you know who you are guys). I will say that by about day 90 I was ready for the contest to be over, but I had some personal goals to reach as well so I pressed on and made it to the end.
So an overview of the rules.
1. you must use the same scale the entire time
2. you must weigh-in the same as when you finish (aka no drinking a gallon of water before the contest started)
3. you can choose whatever diet and exercise plan that you want
4. you have to have a witness at the final weigh-in to verify your final weight

I won’t go into all the details of what I did to lose weight except to say that I ate a balanced healthy diet of mostly fresh vegetables and fruit. I cut out most all meat and animal products and my only exercise was running. And run I did. The last month I ran twice a day 6 days a week and ran between 4 and 7 miles on those days. My math tells me that I ran between 24 and 42 miles per week. So what did I accomplish in 100 days? I think that you will be as surprised as me in what you can accomplish in such a short time.

Here were my starting stats (some are a few weeks into the contest but close enough)
Weight - 236.2 lbs
Blood Pressure - ?/95
Resting Pulse - 85
Belly Button - 39”
Hips - 41”
Chest - 41.4”
Arm - 13.5”
Leg - 24.5”

Now to see what just 100 days can do if you eat healthy and exercise. These are my stats taken after the contest had finished.
Weight - 166.4 (69.8 lbs less)
Blood Pressure - 109/60
Resting Pulse - 48
Belly Button - 32.5”
Hips - 35.5”
Chest - 37”
Arm - 11.5”
Leg - 21.5”
This amounts to a 29.55% loss of my original weight. This number won me the contest but I was trying my hardest to get over 30% and hit 165 lbs. Oh well, I will settle for a win and I only missed my goal by .45%. All in all that isn’t that bad.
It may sound like I’m bragging a bit, but I’m proud of what I have done. I lost 70 pounds and am lighter now than when I was 15 years old. Granted I’m not unhealthy light I’m more fit than I think that I have ever been. I love to run now and last week ran my first 5k (that is metric for 3.1 miles) and yes I did it without walking. I remember the day that I started this contest like it was yesterday. I couldn’t run for more than 2 minutes without almost hyperventilating and I got shin splints within the first 2 weeks. I pushed on through the pain and just kept running.
36 days into the contest I reached my goal of being able to run for 50 minutes without stopping. Admittedly it was at an extremely slow pace, but I had to start somewhere. My fastest mile is 7.5 minutes now and I am continually working on my speed and distance.
I love my new healthy lifestyle, but am glad that now I can occasionally indulge in something not so healthy. I’m working on my running and strength training now and I am seriously considering running the Seattle Marathon this winter.
I also want to mention that I’m so proud of those that took this contest seriously. Without your dedication I would not have been able to do as well as I did. I wish that we all could have won, and I know that in a way we did. I hope that you keep it up and keep off the weight. It wasn’t time wasted, we all added years to our lives if we can just keep up the healthy eating and active lifestyles.
I also want to mention how proud of my Dad that I am. He was the biggest stinker going into this contest and waited until the starting day of the contest to commit to it, but I know that he is glad that he did it now even though he got 3rd place. He has lost 80 pounds and is now lighter than I was when we started this contest. He has some of my old jackets now and they fit! I know that this is a life long change for him and I know now that we will be able to enjoy having him around much longer than the old Dad. I’m proud of you Dad and if you even try to go back to the old you believe me I will let you know. Plus now that you have all those foreign cars you have to stay smaller so that you can fit in them.
Lastly (I know this has gone on for a long time) I’m very proud of my wife. She has lost so much weight especially since she just had a baby a year ago and looks thinner every day. I’m also thankful that she has put up with my insane workout schedule (which has tamed down some now). She also started this contest and got us all off of our butts. I think that she secretly did it because she wanted a thinner husband though. (it worked)

Here are some before and after pictures of Haley and I

before and after Pictures

Again ... Shameless plug (use the comment system)

0 comments: