Saturday, June 06, 2009

Basic Instinct - A not so Beautiful Mind - Part 3

Yes, it has been a long while... and yes, I'm well aware that I started with Part 3


Awake - Where am I? Oh, right, I’m on a plane still. It seems like it has been ages since I left. My book sucked and I have no electronics with me so sleep seemed like a good idea. It still seemed so wasteful to use my last few “free” hours asleep. Wish I had a phone so I could call home, but that might just make things worse. Landing, getting off the plane: Seems like everything is drawn out so long. Almost like the clock won’t move or the world has slowed down some how. Maybe I’m in a Stephen King movie? Nah, I wouldn’t be that lucky.
Its amazing that with how similar each airports basic function is they all are so much different in shape, size, smell and... feel. Man the feel to this airport is creepy. I feel like someone is watching me from around a corner that I can’t see or peering into my every thought and step. The paper in my hands that the people at MEPS said were “directions” are amazing. They may as well have given me a map of Africa and told me it was similar to the airport terminal I was headed to. I can see other confused groups of people staring at the same sheet of paper that I have and probably thinking the same thing I was. I think I’ll follow one of these groups that appears to understand the hieroglyphics on the map and sneak in behind them.
I’m so glad that I have no luggage with me. I followed the instructions to only bring a change of clothing and nothing else. I guess that means something else to some people because I see cell phones and iPods like we are headed to summer camp or something.
Finally! some resemblance of a line is forming somewhere with other living-dead souls being counted off. What a strange place to gather up right between two escalators. “Form 2 lines” some stranger yells to the cluster (expletive) of people that are still on their phones and iPods. Time is moving faster now. “Lambert, Jordan” I tell someone with a clipboard. Marched single file like lemmings through the airport everything is so blurry now. These stairs and hallways look familiar from my hour long stroll trying to find where to go.
Buses are lined up outside and look a lot nicer than one would expect for Army transport. Dang it, everyone seems to have the same stupid single strapped bag that I do and they want me to put my bag under the bus? Good thing I tied a white strip of cloth to my bag so I could dig it out of a pile in 10 seconds or less.
A movie? Is this a freaking joke? What are they trying to trick us into thinking we are actually going to have fun in a few hours or what? At least the movie isn’t one that I’ve seen before (Fast and the Furious - Tokyo Drift) and at least it isn’t “Platoon” or “Full Metal Jacket”. I can’t sleep now anyway so at least I have something to watch.
Awake - Movie still on. Asleep. Awake - Movie still on. Asleep. Awake - Movie is just finishing. Looking around to get my bearings “Welcome to Fort Benning” on a very “inviting” sign passes by the window. I think we are driving in circles. In fact I’m 99% sure we are driving in circles. Not a good sign if they think that we need to be confused so that we can’t escape. The sound of the air brakes finally sound and the doors open up. The sign on the building right out the door should have read “Welcome to the Army! There is no backing out now!”

A short man in a uniform and a big round hat boards the bus...

Oh crap! Here we go!

1 comments:

J said...

OH snap! Love reading this. I feel like I'm reading my life. 8+) Love it. Love your writing style. Love you. K, keep writing.
me.