Thursday, December 21, 2006

Back To The Basics

Well here I am. The sign says closed... err always open but how is this post being published? Some of you may stumble upon this by accident due to the recent lull in updates that this site has seen. Long story short Haley and I surprised the family and kept it a secret from just about everyone that I was going to have some time off to come back and spend Christmas an the New Year celebration with them.
So...
“How have things been for me?” you ask...
I’m glad you care enough to let me elaborate.

Those that know me best might say that I use sarcasm often or that I tend to exaggerate to make a story better or to simply prove a point. That may be true and you can refuse to believe what I’m about to tell you, but here it goes.

Put simply... I love it

Sure it is painful at times and my body hates the pain that it is forced to endure most every day, but for the most part it is a blast. Most all the rumors are true of yelling, screaming, swearing, push-ups, running, more swearing and more yelling. But, after the first week or so it becomes almost normal and you don’t even notice it anymore. I think that the Drill Sergeants recognize that you don’t care anymore and just tone it down, but who am I to know I think I just got used to it.
As far as swearing and such, Doerfler Farms has the Army beat by a long shot so it was no big shocker to me some of the nick names that you pick up along the way. I have my summer of combining and swathing to thank for the easy transition into that arena. I only explain this because many were concerned that it would be awful and I would be effected by this in Basic. I’m here to say I am fine and no I don’t have a potty mouth now.
What have I been learning? Oh how this post would go on forever if I even began to touch on that subject. I will just mention some things that we have covered. Gas Chamber, M-16 qualification, Night Fire, SAW, 240b, First Aid, GFT, Ruck Marches ... etc. For those of you now completely confused I have a surprise for you. Haley and I have had to keep this a secret or my family would have known of my coming home for the holidays.
My Company has a website that is updated regularly with pictures and has a schedule of what training we are currently going through and upcoming training. You can choose to follow along or just look at the pictures. It can be a game of you searching for me among the many other soldiers.

www.foxtrot150.com

Some highlights for me were BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship). I was told going into weapons training that those of us who had fired before would have to forget everything that we learned and the Army would teach us the correct way to shoot. I was willing to accept that, but as time went on I realized that they Army way of shooting was already taught to me by my Dad. This made it much easier to just have a good time and shoot as much as they gave me the chance. My goal was to shoot expert, but that was foiled. To achieve expert you must shoot 36 or more out of 40 pop up targets ranging up to 300 meters. I hit all the 300 meters but missed a close shot. I thought walking off the range that I had hit 36 .exactly but wasn’t sure. Well, turns out I hit 35 and became the best Sharpshooter that you can be instead of the worst expert you can be. Oh well, it is only good for 6 months anyway and then I have to re-qualify again.
I’m glad to be home to see my wife and son. That has been the most difficult thing to overcome in the past few months. God has given me the strength to push that aside when I need to focus on the day to day tasks that are given me. I still know that I am where I need to be and love what I am doing. I hope to visit as many friends and family as I can, but with time restraints I know that I won’t be able to visit everyone obviously. I head back to training on the 2nd of January and hope to return some time in April when I have completed my scheduled training.
Merry Christmas to all that read this and let us all make 2007 the best year that we can. Remember that life is what we make of it and good or bad we need to be looking at the positive in every situation. I have learned in Basic that you can react to situations in life one of 2 ways. You can make excuses or make reasons, excuses to quit and reasons to look up, stay positive and keep moving toward the goal and objective. Lets all find our reasons this year and make it the best year yet!

0 comments: