Sunday, August 20, 2006

Truth in the Numbers

Have you ever given thought to what our country and other countries constitute as illegal substances? On the surface it is extremely obvious to even the below average intelligence life forms the reason why most of these things are deemed harmful to not only the person taking them but also those around them. But those that partake in supposed “joys” of the high (if you ever listened to Michael Medved you know what I mean) swear that it doesn’t harm them and that it is a feeling that they never want to give up, even when it is made illegal.
141 Days ago I started running and I hated it. I would not have really called what I did running, but it was the beginning of something I was sure at the time I would hate. I could barely run 5 minutes at a 12 minute mile pace without hyperventilating and the thought of actually being able to run a few miles was just sickening.
36 days after I started “running” I actually completed what I had set out to do. I ran for 50 minutest straight at a 12 min mile pace. I wasn’t breaking any world records, but it was better than I had ever done in my life and I was proud of it.
3.1 miles seemed like an eternity when I started running. I completed my first 5k race and got completely addicted to the idea of running. I started searching for more races that I could take place in and set a goal to become faster.
4.9 miles used to seem like an impossible goal for me. If you would have told me last year that I would run in an 8k race and actually run the whole way I would have thought you should be committed. But, I did run the 4.9 miles and I loved it even more than the 5k race. This is when David (my cousin) gave me the book about Dean Karnazes (see previous post “Confessions of an All Night Runner”). I read the book and became inspired to up my pace and my distance. I had given the thought to running a marathon “someday” but hadn’t really committed (there is that word again) myself to anything yet.
13.1 miles even 2 months ago seemed like such an extremely long distance for anyone without at least a powered scooter. But I conquered that distance 2 weeks ago and loved ever minute of it.
So that brings us to the final number. If you studied the picture above too much I’m sure you know what it is, but it has to come with a short story (though it didn’t seem short at the time). I have been training for the Seattle Marathon, but due to some unforeseen circumstances I am going to run in another marathon as well. The problem is that it is at the end of September and not the end of November. To those that don’t run that may not seem like much of a difference, but to those counting the weeks I lost in my training it is a lot more time than one would think. So I adjusted my training to meet the new schedule.
My new schedule called for a 12 miler on saturday, but what killed me was the added mileage during the week. I had completed the weeks schedule and taken my day off to prepare for my 12 mile run but was still uneasy about it. I decided to run it early in the morning to avoid traffic and because we had early afternoon plans with friends that I wanted to be ready for on time and not have to rush to get done.
I started my trek at 2 am. Josh was leaving my house and gave me a piece of pizza and I was off on my run eating my pizza and enjoying the night. The first 10 miles were fairly easy and I decided that I was going to go further than my 12 miles. I had all night to run so why not take the opportunity to PR (personal record). I ran through downtown Kirkland and Bellevue. It was a beautiful night. It was clear out but not too warm. I had to stop to refill my water once and I walked a few times so that I could actually drink water easier and not get it up my nose. At about mile 19 I felt like jumping in front of a bus, but it was too early in the morning and there were not even any cars on the streets yet. I was fine after that until about mile 22. Then I hit some sort of wall, I was mentally and physically drained running through downtown Redmond wondering what the chicken I was doing. I pressed on because I knew that if I gave up now I would kick myself for not going just a little further.
Then I heard the words that I had wanted to hear all morning. After the sun had rose and the fog had burned off I pressed the button on my iPod and the voice said “Twenty-Six point Two-One Miles Completed”. I slowed to a fast walk and began the mile walk home (uphill). So that is the number of the weekend

26.2

0 comments: